2/7/07

snow day

You gotta love the people of the washington DC metro area, if for nothing else, they are completely inept at dealing with weather. It is one of those things that is so ridiculous it is almost charming. We got about 2 inches of snow last night, and all surrouding area schools are closed. Brilliant. It takes something like 6 inches in an hour back home in Minny before they close a school. I've seen them let kids out early for the threat of heavy afternoon snow here once.

So when I checked my work email this morning while sipping my morning jo, I was delighted and depressed to have an email from my boss saying roughly the following: "Kids are home from school today, so I am going to stay home and take them sledding. Why don't you do half of my workload for the day, and then write that damn report you are supposed to be writing."

Audible sigh.

On the one hand I have a nice chill day at work, cuz my boss won't be here. On the other hand, I've now got assignments. In the past three weeks I haven't really had any (aside from this pesky report), so I have been just doing busy work and mindless tasks and internet surfing and... well, this. Looking busy. Not being busy. Working just sucks, basically, unless of course you are at that point in your life when you can decide to stay home and take the kids sledding and slough off your work to your assistant. Then maybe it's not so bad. But if you are in your 20s, chances are you think work sucks too.

Which is why I am so happy to be going to grad school. I can say that with confidence now because I heard on Monday that I got into School of Public Health at the U-MN. Haven't heard from my other two choices yet (U-WA & U-CA-Berk.), but at least I know I got into one. That said, if I hadn't gotten into my hometown school I probably would have been crushed. I can't say my partner is thrilled, I mean she's happy for me, but I reckon she's not thrilled about the -15 degree weather and snow storms they are currently experiencing out there. And truth be told, neither am I. Here's hoping for the endless fog of Berkeley or perpetual drizzle of Seattle. Wait, why didn't I apply to school in Miami? I did this same damn thing with undergrad (GO MAC!).

My three options (making one hell of an assumption: admittance). Can you tell which one is which?

5 comments:

m said...

MN is cold as hell, and I too hate it right now...but ya gotta admit - it also kicks some pretty serious ass.

Anonymous said...

... and minneapolis builds character. unfortunately, once exposed, it freezes and falls to the ground.

but i bet you could wrassle yer' pardner into shackin' up on the prairie for a few.

Anonymous said...

congrats for gettin' in somewhere, MN isn't so bad. It's where Wayne Gretzke's kid goes to high school. And home to such fine corporations as General Mills and Excel Energy.

Rick Shaw said...

Isn't everyone curious just who anonymous might be? I sure am... who considers excel energy a fine corporation? Why not Best Buy or Target? And why corporations and not like the Twins or Wild? (Notice I did not mention the t-wolves since they have basically broken my heart again this year by sucking so bad and not firing Kevin McFAIL) Odd...

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Minneapolis! Get your ass back here before D.C. consumes your soul...