4/2/07

mmmmm, coffffeeee

Wouldn't ya know it, I spent 5 days in Seattle and only got rained on once!! As you can well imagine, my trip was awesome. The school, aside from the occasional murder-suicide, is incredible. Right on the water, amazing views, cool neighborhoods close by, and above all else, has really cool profs and students doing a wide range of really interesting things. In the verdict of Dub vs 'Sota, Dub wins in a landslide. Sorry Goldy. It's just that the program at U-Dub was such a good fit, and the program at Minnesota was just so-so.

So now the choice is boiled down to go back to school, or do not go back to school. At least it's a simple choice.

Seattle is a cool city, too. Loads of bikers (the cycling kind, not the leather wearing kind), the first cool thing I noticed. AMAZING coffee! I mean just mind-blowing. If you like coffee -- and I LOVE coffee -- this is the place for you. So many cool little coffee shacks and shops and whatnot, and it all tastes so good! I am even convinced that Starbucks tasted better in Seattle than it does here, if such a thing is possible (hint: it's not). ANYWAY, the coffee is the second cool thing. The third cool thing: have you SEEN Seattle? Holy Shit are there some incredible landscapes! You've got water, hills, mountains, and green as far as the eye can see. Sure, it rains and often even when its not raining, it's cloudy (just not when I am there). But it is a very pretty place with numerous picturesque views. In fact, I'll post some of those shots tonight or tomorrow. Fourth cool thing: the people. I dunno if you knew this, but it's a really liberal place. And since you all know how I hate getting my worldview challenged, that is a plus for me. Granted, the rest of the state is a conservative libertarian death trap... but what rural part of any state isn't? And, I have some friends there already... including Billy/Heather, Peter/Megan, and the other prospective student types I met while visiting.

Drawbacks: I don't love the seattle dress code. I can't even put my finger on it. Post-grunge? Post-punk? (or are we at post post-punk at this point?) Some combination? Like I said, can't quite articulate the code, but there is definitely something at work there... an aesthetic if you will (and boy do I ever) that has become the sort of agreed upon "cool kids gear." So I might need some new (or vintage, rather) clothes. Oh, and lots of peircings and tatoos.

So there you have it, folks. Now we just need to figure out if we are going to move or not.

7 comments:

Slurry B said...

I think the dress code is officially categorized as Heroine Casual.

Every time I went to Seattle as a kid, I always loved it when we caught a ferry to San Juan island, just between Vancouver, BC and Seattle. In the late 1800's British and American settlers engaged in a 12-year war over a pig that escaped British land and was shot by an American. The great thing is that there were no official battles, just a general sense of resentment between the two parties.

Anonymous said...

so no more public disparagement of minnesota to convince yourself not to come here?

Anonymous said...

and to answer your question ...

Rick Shaw said...

James, it is so cute how defensive you get about Minny. But there is no need. I love it. It's home. People here think I'm nuts how much I talk about it longingly. That said, saying winters in Minnesota suck is not disparaging. It is a statement of fact. Saying there are a lot of blondes there, also a fact. Fat people? C'mon now. (Besides, I said there were fatties everywhere, and I stand by that.) I can't think of anything worse I have said about it.

Rick Shaw said...

Turns out I also made reference to MN having a lot of annoying misquitos. Again, fact.

Kraemerica said...

I like Heroine Casual, but prefer Hipster Douche.

Hopefully you sampled some of the micro-brews of the Northwest as well. Although, I recently had visitors bring me a case of Grain Belt and it sweet/sour goodness made me miss MN.

Rick Shaw said...

Nick's right, the beer in the NW is as good as the coffee. So is the wine. I really liked Manny's and Mack & Jacks, which seemed to be on tap most places.

And I should have given props earlier to Beta, heroine casual is funny. So is hipster douche. And they are both pretty accurate.