1/28/07

focus group for peace

... and throw away the key!
I'll probably never forgetBush's response to the 2003 protests:
"First of all, you know, size of protests--it's like deciding, `Well, I'm going to decide policy based upon a focus group.' The role of a leader is to decide policy based upon, in this case, the security of the people."
That was in response to something like 2 million people across the country all marching together on the same day. Yesterday, I went down to the mall to partake in the protest/rally/march against the senseless escalation of another 20K(ish) troops in Iraq. Here are some pics...

my favorite peacenik group, as of yesterday: the raging grannies. they were awesome.

two HOTT protesters
some cool puppets
best poster
1199 was the only labor org with a real presence that I saw here. This bums me out, seems like they could have used their size to make this day an even bigger event.
hip hop for peace
another cool puppet-thing
So this was certainly the largest focus group I have ever been a part of. And whether it does an ounce of good or not, only time will tell. I sorta doubt it will. There were lots of calls for impeachment of Bush and Cheney, and while that sounds great and I would certainly welcome a change in the White House before 2008, it's pretty much a pipe dream.

We heard a bunch of speakers at the rally before the march, so among the good and bad speakers yesterday, here is my report card of the more memorable ones:
- Jess Jackson: C- (Rambling. WHile he does get credit for his call-and-response stuff and trying to get folks riled up, he was a bit nonsensical to me)
- Sean Penn: B (short, sweet, to the point)
- Jane Fonda: A (she was great, the daughter/granddaughter bit helped her too, read more here)
- Susan Surandan: A+ (exciting, emotional and still rational, well-spoken, still sexxy at 61!)
- Tim Robbins: F (blubbering idiot... shame too, I normally like this guy)

No comments: