9/19/07

Don't call it a comeback

Finally, you are saying, FINALLY Le Domestique is back in front of his computer. I know, I know, you've all been holding your breath, passing out, turning back on your computer, then holding your breath again, all the while hittin refresh over and over and over again. But here it is, finally, my return to the blogosphere. Please, please people, your applause is flattering but is really unnecessary.

ANYWAYS, I think I love Seattle.

And here are a few reasons why... Some of you who know me well know that, as material consumeristic objects go, there are three things in life that I am passionate about, that truly bring pleasure and joy to my life when they are of high, if not the highest, quality (read: there are 3 things I get snobby about). For the purposes of this here blog, I will only trouble you with two of these snobtastic gifts from Jah: coffee and wine.

Well, guess what? I am pretty sure they have the best coffee in the world here in Seattle. Don't believe me? Go ask a Seattlite, they'll you. And I don't mean that Starbucks shit neither, I mean places like Cafe Vita, Cafe Ladro, and even the place right down the road from me now, Hollys. These places, and the people who work and frequent them, know their espresso. Which is totally a stupid and contrived thing to say, I know, but I am a person who, the very second the alarm goes off in the morning, I think of coffee. It gets me out of bed in the morning, thinking about how good that first cup will taste. I freaking love the coffee, get it? Anyhoo, I am in the right town for this addiction, and coming from DC where there are only 'Bucks (not only that, but one on every block), it is a welcoming and refreshing change to have amazing independent coffee houses everywhere.

Moving right along...

The second I get downright snobby about sometimes is wine. While I would never claim Seattle (let's even say the upper Northwest) has the best wine in the world, I do hold that there is a lot of affordable, great tasting wine here from the Columbia, Walla Walla, and Rogue Valleys. And since it doesn't have to travel very far, it's a few bux cheaper than you'll find it back East, sure there is a lot of pricey stuff, but a lot is pretty affordable. And there is much of it that is new to me, stuff I have never seen in Minny or DC and that I am excited to try.

Now, I can't [won't] comment on the elusive third gratifying and snob-inducing thing for me because, while I know it is most like around me in abundance, I have not yet been able to sample any as of yet. But let's just say that I hear it is good.

Here's another reason I think I love this place, at least so far... The other day I went into a bike shop, fully expecting to be demoralized and out at least $150, too boot (at least I say). You see, my commuter was making some bad noises, BAD noises, and fixing it seemed way beyond my own novice abilities. Now, understand that every single time I went into a bike shop in DC I left feeling stupid, incompetent, and not worthy of even riding bikes, let alone wanting to maintain and work on my bikes as a hobby. For some reason, bike nerds out east are very old boys clubbish, meaning that if you aren't in the club, you suck. And if you want them to just fix something, they'll instead try to sell you something, and it will be expensive. Basically, it comes down to them being annoying skinny-pants wearing dickheads who also suck giant bull testicles at customer service... but are they only game in town, so as a customer you are screwed. So I expected to go get a similar reception at this awesome shop in Seattle, Recycled Cycles. After all, they had those same damn skinny pants and stretched out earlobes and mohawks and the like. Instead they were totally friendly, didn't try to sell me shit I didn't need, and fixed my bike for free. Sure, I ended up buying a part and having them install it for $10, but I was going to do that anyways. I guess since there are about a dozen bike shops in a 5 mile radius, maybe even more, they have to have good customer service. Or maybe it's because there is an open and accepting bike culture here or something, I dunno, but I like it, go Seattle.

Ok ok ok, I know, Reader, are sitting there saying, "we get it, you like your new home. We don't care." And I don't blame you. So let me leave you with some pics that might be a bit more enjoyable than my ramblings. In a word, the drive from Minny to here was "long." But in three words, it was: "not that bad." Montana sure is pretty (not to mention huge, although you may have heard that before). NoDak sure is... well, it's NoDak. What more can you say? (Sorry Mindy, it is pretty in that vast prairie sorta way, and the Teddy Roosevelt Park seemed neat.) Anyways, here are some shots, primarily of sunsets and bugs on my windshield... The first three are somewere in NoDak, the last two are in 'Tana.





4 comments:

Slurry B said...

Nice comeback...I mean, ummm, return. It's nice to hear you've taken your coffee and wine snobbery to the next level. I guess I won't be inviting you to the Folger's and Carlo Rossi party I plan on having soon.

Anonymous said...

those pictures sure are purdy--even the arty ones.

i'm jealous of you and your great independent coffee and local wine and nice bike people. if i have to go to that dupont north starby's one more time i'm going to punch that stalkerish screech look-alike barrista in the teeth.

miss you, josh! come back and visit when you get sick of living in your amazing crunchy city and want to visit the grungy east coast.

Moroni said...

I just can't figure out what the third thing is! Please give some more hints.

Kraemerica said...

check out some oregon pinot noir and get back to me!